Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pink Buckeye!

Yesterday while touring The Son's new COLLEGE (congratulations, T.S.!) I noticed a tree I swear I have never seen before. It was positively glorious in all its springiness. Lush droopy leaves with pink spikes of flowers. I crept closer, mouth agape. "What IS this?" I asked to no one in particular. "It looks like a buckeye, but it's PINK." I have always had a special place in my heart for the regular old buckeye. I even grew one in a pot but The Husband did something with it that shouldn't be mentioned on the blog. (I think he threw it away, which I now mention in case someone thought it was something worse.)
.

I snapped this pic of the tree and as soon as I got home I googled it and low and behold! Aesculus carnea, aka Pink Buckeye! I'm getting me one.

.

Here are some more pics from yesterday that I just had to share because it was such a beautiful day in Silicon Valley.This last one is just weird. In this little rose garden we saw a giant golden bee. I was aiming my camera phone at him when he turned towards me and hovered so that I could get a good picture. It was kind of creepy, actually.Here's the close up. After extensive research I have come to the conclusion that it is a male carpenter bee. Only the female, which is black and shiny, has a stinger. If I had known I would have scooped him up and given him a kiss on his fuzzy little nose.
Bz.

1 comments:

  1. Great pics...and notes; will look for that pink buckeye

    ReplyDelete